Discover the rich variety of traits in the flora and fauna of Ysola. Learn how to breed for certain phenotypes and apply those skills to help the villagers cure diseases, detect mold, and more. Identify the relevant genotypes and inheritance patterns, and use Punnett squares to teach the villagers how to breed the traits they need themselves.
*This quest line is lengthy and many of the individual quests have several parts to them.
Standards Covered in Quest line:
Disciplinary Core Ideas:
- LS3.A: Inheritance of Traits
- LS3.B: Variation of Traits
- Asking Questions and Defining Problems
- Developing and Using Models
- Analyzing and Interpreting Data
- Engaging in Argument from Evidence
- Cause and Effect
- Scale, Proportion, and Quantity
- Systems and System Models
HS-LS3-3 Apply concepts of statistics and probability to explain the variation and distribution of expressed traits in a population.[Clarification Statement: Emphasis is on the use of mathematics to describe the probability of traits as it relates to genetic and environmental factors in the expression of traits.] [Assessment Boundary: Assessment does not include Hardy-Weinberg calculations.]
- 3.4 Distinguish among observed inheritance patterns caused by several types of genetic traits (dominant, recessive, codominant, sex-linked, polygenic, incomplete dominance, multiple alleles).
- 3.6 Use a Punnett Square to determine the probabilities for genotype and phenotype combinations in monohybrid crosses.