Trade Tonnie’s snipsnaps for a specific amount of currency.
* The values in the marketplace change for each quest so a player will not be able to necessarily follow the same pattern in the previous quest. They will have to re-determine what is a good trade.
This is a good quest for introducing the concept of trading up. It can be used before or during discussions of unit value, conversion and simple one step equations. There are multiple trades available and players will need to strategize about what trade sequence is best to use.
- Players will be able to use unit conversions to solve problems
- What was your strategy for trading items in the marketplace? (look at all the vendors first, trade randomly, constantly check the values of the goods, etc.)?
- Did you discover any patterns in what the merchants were trading? (some merchants are giving good deals, some are giving very bad deals)
- How did you decide what was a good deal? How were the deals different this time than last time (players can look at the values of different goods at the broker shop to see what value they will get from their trades)
- What would it look like if we tried to write out the trades as equations? (this is prep for helping students make the connection between the quest and writing simple one step equations)
These resources can give students additional practice on setting up and using simple equations to solve problems: