Ember has a pile of unsorted glass fragments (sides and angles from triangles). Find three pieces that match the second window from the left, place them into the Triangle Template to cut a new glass panel. Fit the new panel into the window using the Architect's View.
Begin this quest line before introducing the concept of congruence and congruent triangles. In using the broken angle and side fragments to create new glass panels, they are determining the necessary pieces that make two congruent triangles and in effect are learning about congruence postulates/theorems (SAS, SSS, ASA, AAS).
- Players will be able to use congruence postulates/theorems in order to create congruent triangles
- How did you determine which fragments to use to create the new glass panel?
- Did you try any combinations that didn’t work?
- Did it matter what order you put them in to be able to cut the correct piece?
- What orders did you try? Which ones worked? (this is where connections should be made to the theorems – using three side fragments to create the triangle = SSS congruence postulate)
These resources can give students additional practice on congruent triangles: