Yemil needs a garden fence to help her grow stinglades. Build a fence using only the 30 tooms of fencing available. Then report the area back to Yemil so she knows how many stinglades to plant.
This quest is the first in a set that lead up to optimization of the fencing for the stinglades. Here players learn to build a fence using a specific amount of material. The shape and area are not important here. The fence builder tool will calculate the area and perimeter for the player if they need it.
- Make a geometric construction (geometric construction)
- Create a shape with a given perimeter (area/perimeter calculations)
- How did you determine the side lengths for your pen?
- Did you try to make any particular shape?
- Have students compare what areas they got depending on which sides they chose. This begins a discussion of optimization of maximum area for a given perimeter.
- Offer students additional practice on making shapes with a given perimeter beyond just the rectangles that the fence builder provides.